Monday, April 12, 2010

A Mei Cultural Show

Just before dinner at Hualien, we watched a cultural show put up by the A Mei tribe. Aside from the colourful costumes and lively dances, we were given an insight into the original way of life of this particular aboriginal tribe as well as their marriage customs. In my heart I wished that they were not performing for an audience and that the singing and dancing was carried out in the mountains where they celebrate important festivals and milestones in their lives. I do not want to participate in their mock marriage rituals as a tourist. I would have preferred to have been a guest they have invited to stay amongst them.

4 comments:

alicesg said...

Oh I enjoyed viewing all your other posts on Taiwan. Some places I did not visit during my first visit. Now you make me want to visit Taiwan again...lol. Oh I wore the Taiwan tribal costume during my first visit. I have to look for that photo. Each country I visited, I will try to wear their costumes. :) So far, I wore the taiwan tribe costume, korean hanbok and thai traditional costume. I am so vain..lol.

Mable said...

Wah Alice, I just uploaded this post just a few minutes ago! Enjoy a free-and-easy trip if you do go again. The place is flooded with mainland Chinese tourists and it is crowded everywhere. You should go to other countries so that you extend your photo collection of traditional costumes. Taiwan is good if you have friends there or if you narrow your coverage to specific places. Cheers Alice, you are not the only one who is vain, me too, heheh

alicesg said...

Hahaha, normally I always view your flower blog only but as you have recently visited Taiwan, I wanted to see how Taiwan changes over the years.

redcar said...

Enjoy your great photo shots. Never been to Taiwan.
The popiah ice-cream looks yummy. It's a good thing I don't have ice-cream in my fridge, else.....

You may already know of our famous ice-cream burger outside Takashimaya. It seems it' a 'must-eat' for some famous HK movie-stars and celebrities.

Few years ago I enjoyed similar high-speed train (MAGLEV, Magnetic Levitation ) in Shanghai travelling 300kmph at non-peak hours and slightly faster during peak hours. Now it's 500kmph for the Shanghai Expo. Didn't try it when I was there last Oct.

lindystudiozest